Hungarian Cucumber Salad is beautifully marinated in olive oil and white vinegar and is an outstanding side dish for a meat-heavy meal that you can enjoy on any occasion. If you like cucumbers like me, this recipe just might become your favorite!
Hungarian Cucumber Salad is typically eaten 1 deposit casino uk.com differently than other countries typically do. We eat this as a side with our main meal, to eat something heavy (the main meal), and something light (the cucumber salad) at the same time. We don’t eat this as an appetizer.
Just imagine, for example,… the pickles. Nobody eats pickles as an appetizer salad, instead, it’s served as a side for a meal. It’s the same thing, with this recipe too.
The meals that we typically eat with Cucumber Salad are, for example: Hungarian Chicken Paprikash, Hungarian Beef Stew, or any dishes that include Mashed Potatoes. If you look to serve it with other dishes, from other cuisines, you can do it for sure. Go ahead! For example, it can be paired with the Chinese Ground Beef Stir Fry, Bonchon Soy Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe, or with my Heavenly Chicken Recipe.
A crisp cucumber salad is always a great choice when you need something refreshing next to any meaty meal, on a hot day.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love It
- Ingredients for the Hungarian Cucumber Salad
- How to Make the Hungarian Cucumber Salad
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad
Why You’ll Love It
- Easy to make
- 5 minutes to make
- Addictive if you love cucumbers
- So light and Refreshing
- Beautiful crispy cucumbers
There are so many variations of this recipe. Some people add garlic, sweet paprika, and also sour cream to it. Interestingly, I never even tasted the salad with these ingredients. Growing up, in my household we made it more simple and more light.
Ingredients for the Hungarian Cucumber Salad
Here are the ingredients we used:
- 2 medium size Cucumbers ( or 1 English Cucumber)
- 4 tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil (or vegetable oil)
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tbsp + To taste Salt (approximately ¼ tsp)
- To taste Black Pepper (approximately ¼ tsp)
- ½ small Red Onion
Quite simple, but it is the best. Of course, you can add garlic, sour cream, or sweet pepper too. I even read some recipes with sugar… You can try all of them if you prefer, but I promise you’ll not be disappointed with my recipe.
So, let’s make the salad.
How to Make the Hungarian Cucumber Salad
- Peel the cucumbers, then slice them in a medium-sized bowl. Make sure it’s thin as possible and they are see-through slices. You can use a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer.
- Add salt to the bowl and mix it well together with the cucumber slices. Leave it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. It releases its juice right away and doesn’t need a lot of time.
- Meanwhile, start mixing the other ingredients together in a different medium-sized bowl. White Vinegar, Water, Black Pepper, and Salt.
- Slice the onions into thin long slices. You can mix it with the dressing, or sprinkle it on top of the cucumber salad when it’s done.
- After 5 minutes, squeeze the cucumbers with your hands and let the it’s juice drop, then place it in the other bowl where the dressing is.
- Mix everything then place it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to 30 minutes. The more you can leave it, the better.
- Then top with the sliced red onions.
- Serve with the meal!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you cut cucumbers ahead of time for a salad?
Yes, you can. Place the cucumbers in an airtight container with a paper towel (to soak up the excess moisture), then put it in the refrigerator. Consume it within 2-3 days.
Should you peel cucumbers for a salad?
Depends on the salad and the cucumbers. For this recipe, you have to peel them. It will be more authentic for the Hungarian culture. Peel them, and cut them into very thin slices.
Why soak cucumbers in salt water before making cucumber salad?
Soaking cucumbers in salt water is a known trick that helps the cucumbers keep the extra crunchiness. Allows them to release their water so they’ll stay crisp even with the dressing.
Hungarian Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium Cucumbers (or 1 English Cucumber)
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp + to taste (approx. ¼ tsp) salt
- to taste (approx. ¼ tsp) black pepper
- ½ small red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Peel the cucumbers, then slice them in a medium-sized bowl. make sure it's as thin as possible and they are see-through slices. You can use a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer.
- Add salt to the bowl and mix it well together with the cucumber slices. Leave it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. It releases its juice right away and doesn't need a lot of time.
- Meanwhile, start mixing the other ingredients together in a different medium-sized bowl. White vinegar, water, black pepper, and salt.
- Slice the onions into thin lin slices. You can mix it with the dressing, or sprinkle on top of the cucumbers when it's done.
- After 5 minutes, squeeze the cucumbers with your hands and let their juice drop then place them in the bowl where the dressing is.
- Mix everything and place it in the refrigerator for 10 to 30 minutes. The more you can leave it, the better.
- Top with the sliced red onions.
- Serve with the meal!