I remember the first time I ate Tostones Con Ajo. It was my first time with my husband’s family. It was everything new for me. The food, the people, the culture and my English was worst than now also … Just imagine. I was so nervous and shy… Well, not anymore.
One of the best things that I loved from the first moment was food. Especially tostones con ajo, because I didn’t eat green plantains in my life.
And now, this is the side dish, that I make every other day.
Tostones are salted and eaten much like french fries. In some regions, it is customary to dip them in garlic sauce (mojo), fresh lime, or just simply with ketchup. In some countries, they are served as an appetizer with cheese on the top, or as a side dish with a Fried chicken (Pica Pollo), Fried Fish (Boca Chica Fish), or some simple avocado salad.
In Latin American countries and the Caribbean, fried plantains appear under two distinct names. Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, and Peru are called Patacones. In Cuba, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic are called Tostones. In the Dominican Republic, they also go by the name Platano Frito or Fritos Verdes.
How to smash tostones without Tostonera?
A lot of people were asking me, what are the options to smash the plantains? Originally, the Tostonera is used for that. But there are some other options too if you don’t have it:
- Bottom of a Glass
- Meat Pounder
- Back of the wooden spoon
- Bottom of a Can
- Bottom of the Measure Cup – 1 Cup Capacity [Personally, I use this option]
- Any thing that is flat on the bottom
Different ways to cook plantains
- Mangu – boiled and mashed plantains served with salami, cheese, and eggs
- Maduros – fried sweet plantains for a break from the savory.
- Mofongo – mashed fried green plantains with garlic
- Pastelon – lasagna created with thin layers of plantains
- Tostones – double-fried green plantains
- Boiled plantain – When the plantain is already yellow, you can boil it. Softer and sweeter.
What do you eat with tostones con ajo?
Pretty much what you wish. The most popular is any type of fried chicken, fried fish, steak, or even with your full meal, For a side dish with rice, beans, and meat. Or just by itself with any dipping. I just love ketchup or barbeque sauce.
If you want to try to make it with rice and beans, make sure you check the Dominican Beans recipe.
Tostones is a good side dish for these recipes
- Smoked Mac and Cheese,
- Steaks on a Blackstone Griddle,
- Spicy Chicken Riggies,
- Vegetarian Stew
- Homemade Beef Jerky
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken fried rice on Blackstone
- Chicken Shawarma
- Sweet Potato Ground Beef Casserole
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Tostones | Fried Green Plantains
- 2 green plantains
- 1 cup oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ketchup (optional)
- garlic powder
- Peel the plantains and cut them into 1- 1½inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, and place the plantains in the oil and fry both side until they have a golden color; but not too crispy.
- Remove the plantains from the pan and flatten them by placing a plate over the fried plantains and pressing down.
- Then return them to the hot oil and fry them until they are all crispy and crunchy. Salt, garlic powder, and pepper to taste (optional) and serve immediately.
- If you peeled and cut the plantains, but still you don’t want to fry them, put them in salty water and it’s not going to get brown.
Frequently asked questions:
Are fried plantains healthy?
Well, everything that is fried in unhealthy oil, is not the healthier choice, but it’s absolutely delicious. But otherwise, is a healthy choice with other options, like baked or boiled. You can think of it as a stretchy vegetable or a substitute for potatoes. Plantains are rich sources of complex carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, and are easily digestible. High in antioxidants and good for your heart.
What can I do with leftover fried plantains?
If you have leftovers, just put them in the freezer. When you decide to eat it, just fry them once until they are crispy again.
Can I fry bananas instead of plantains?
Yes, you can. But it’s not going to be the same as the plantains. The bananas are soft and sweet while the plantains are hard and only sweet when they get old and yellow. Maybe you will have a better result with green bananas.
Can you eat plantains raw?
Ripe plantains are sweet like a banana, without the banana flavor. They can be eaten raw but are best when fried.
We love love plantains! Fantastic recipe!
The simplest recipe ever…