Hungarian Meatloaf – Stefánia szelet – is one of the easiest and most delicious meatloaves you have ever eaten. This dish is perfect on the Christmas table, next with the Thanksgiving meals, or on other special occasions.
It’s stuffed with hard-boiled eggs which makes a beautiful and decorative meatloaf. Juicy, moist, and super tasty.
Hungarian Meatloaf is a ground meat dish that it’s combined with other special ingredients. Formed into a shape of a loaf. This dish can be baked easily and also smoked. The final shape is can be hand-formed or pan-formed in a loaf pan.
It has lots of variations from all around the world. Almost every country has its own variation of meatloaf. The first meatloaf was mentioned in a Roman cookery collection.
This Hungarian Meatloaf recipe is so good that it always brings the family together for a satisfying meal. Just a few simple ingredients are used to make it, so it’s practically foolproof.
How to make Hungarian Meatloaf?
- Firstly, cook 4 eggs, and soak the bread in the water. Let it soak in the water.
- Put the minced meat in a mixing bowl and salt it. Add the grated garlic, chopped onion, paprika powder, Vegeta seasoning, black pepper, marjoram, and nutmeg.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and allow them to stand.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the water out of the bread and process it into the minced meat. Beat in the remaining 1 egg, and mix well. Line a medium-sized baking sheet with baking paper and smear the paper with oil.
- Secondly, Dived the meat into two parts in a ratio of ⅔ -⅓. Kneading a loop from both.
- Make a ditch into the larger piece and put the boiled eggs one after the other.
- Cover with the smaller part of the meat. Brush the top of the meatloaf with oil.
- Gently roll around with breadcrumbs. This step is optional.
Bake in a preheated oven (375 F) for 30-40 minutes until nice and red. Best to serve it with a salad and mashed potatoes. Check out this delicious Popeyes mashed potatoes.
The common reason is that it doesn’t have enough binding agents, like eggs and breadcrumbs. These ingredients are very important for the meat mixture to stick together and stay together while it cooks.
Any combination of beef, veal, pork, or lamb. The most popular is ground beef combined with pork. I made it with ground beef alone because I don’t eat pork.
The meatball is a ball of ground meat, seasoned and cooked. Meatloaf is a ground meat dish that’s formed into a loaf shape, mixed with egg and breadcrumbs, then baked or smoked, and usually served in slices.
My mom is the best chef I know, and she made this all the time and it was considered a fancy meal in our house! This dish can be a super delicious fancy meal at a Christmas party, Thanksgiving, or any other special occasion.
Are you looking for recipes you can pair the Hungarian Meatloaf with? Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a delicious low-carb dish that is perfect with our recipe.
- 5 eggs 4 hard-boiled
- 1 lb ground beef best choice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Vegeta Seasoning preferably Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 slice white bread or buns ( I used 1 Ciabatta Roll)
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- ⅔ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil or any
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- For the first step cook 4 eggs, and soak the bread in the water. Let it soak the water in.
- Put the minced meat in a mixing bowl and salt it. Add the grated garlic, chopped onion, paprika powder, Vegeta seasoning, and black pepper. Mix thoroughly and allow to stand.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the water out of the bread and process it into the minced meat. Beat in the remaining 1 egg, and mix well.
- Taste and season with marjoram and nutmeg to taste. Line a medium-sized baking sheet with baking paper and smear the paper with oil.
- Dived the meat into two parts in a ratio of ⅔ -⅓, kneading a loop from both. Make a ditch into the larger piece and put the boiled eggs one after the other, then cover with the smaller part of the meat.
- Brush the top of the meatballs with oil, and gently roll around with breadcrumbs.
- 385F Bake in a preheated 385F oven for 30-40 minutes until nice red.
- We can serve it with a salad and mashed potatoes.
I have always wanted to try a stuffed hard boiled egg meatloaf recipe. Your step-by-step instructions helped me make the perfect meatloaf recipe and my family loved it. This Hungarian recipe was full of great flavor and so easy to make.
Really loved it! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
Very interesting flavors and seasonings!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
I have meatloaf on the meal plan for this week, and I think I will be trying this version. I am so intrigued by the addition of hard boiled eggs.
Meatloaf is an absolute family favorite in our house. And this unique recipe did not disappoint! The hard boiled eggs in the center were a real conversation piece. They absorbed a lot of flavor from the meatloaf which surprised me. Really good. And it was actually very easy to make. The touch of nutmeg was nice in this savory recipe.
This is a recipe that is set to impress! Full of flavour and oh-so-comforting 🙂
Wow, I’d never tried Hungarian meatloaf before but I took a chance and made it – it was delicious!
The meatloaf turned out great! I love the hard-boiled eggs in there. The flavors were very different from my usual meatloaf, so it was a nice change!