I remember eating this traditional Hungarian Cabbage Soup in my grandmother’s house when I was a kid. She was making for us every other day because she wanted to cook something healthy, something quick, and cheap. Well, she had almost every year cabbage in the garden so it was more easily available.
God bless her for everything what she did to us. We weren’t easy kids, that’s for sure. ????
I remember being already bored of it because we ate so much of it. But she knew what she’s doing. And I am thankful for that.
Table of Contents
Why does Hungarian Cabbage Soup make you lose weight?
Cabbage Soup has an extremely low calorie and it makes you go to the bathroom a lot during the day. Will help you feel full the whole day and stop you snacking between meals.
For those who wants the diet:
Day 1. – Cabbage soup and fruit (no bananas)
Day 2. – Cabbage soup, vegetables, and one baked potato with butter
Day 3. – Cabbage soup and as many fruits and vegetables as you like (no bananas or potatoes)
Day 4. – Cabbage soup, unlimited bananas and skimmed milk
Day 5. – Cabbage soup, ten ounces of beef, and up to six tomatoes
Day 6. – Cabbage soup, beef, and vegetables (no potato)
Day 7. – Cabbage soup, vegetables, brown rice, and unlimited sugar-free juice
This diet involves a strict regimen. Throughout the diet, no tea, coffee or any other beverages are allowed – only water and unsweetened fruit juice on fruit days.
While the Cabbage Soup Diet helps to lose weight, most of what you do drop off during the diet mostly is water weight, not fat. And will return almost immediately after you start eating like before.
Negative side effects of the Original Diet Cabbage Soup :
Here are some of the more severe health effect to the cabbage soup diet.
- If you make it with canned vegetable juice, it has excess sodium intake
- It’s likely that you will experience weakness, fatigue, and dizziness and that’s mean you won’t be able to exercise properly for the week and that’s because of inadequate caloric intake.
- Your protein intake will be particularly low, so you can loose a lot of lean muscle mass that keeps you looking good.
- You won’t get all the nutrients you need without supplements
But there is GOOD NEWS for you right now!
My Cabbage Soup has it all. It has Protein, Healthy Fat and also a little Carbohydrates. Just because you are doing a diet, that doesn’t mean, you have to put your body on the alarm. You have to stay healthy and strong. And still, lose weight. Maybe you won’t lose 10 pounds in a week, how they said. But you will still lose 5 pounds. And let me tell you, that’s an amazing result! ????
I put some ingredients “optional” because I’m not forcing nobody to eat healthily. ???? But you need some Carbohydrates and Healthy Fat also, for a healthy body during the diet.
Ok. Another optional ingredient. I love to serve with hot green pepper. In my household, we like to eat with “Erős Pista“. That’s a type of Hungarian hot paprika being mashed. If you have some spicy taste, I recommend trying it. But not too much, be careful, because you won’t be able to feel the soup tastes because your tongue will burn too much ????
OR Check my favorite Chicken Teriyaki Salad recipe. It fits for a nice lunch or dinner diet time.
Káposzta Leves | Cabbage Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 medium cabbage
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp ground cumin optional
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube to taste
- fresh dill
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp sour cream optional
- 1 tbsp flour optional
- First, let's cut the onion, chicken breast, the cabbage and the fresh dill in smal little pieces.
- Braise the onion in the oil, then bring the chicken breadt in it.
- Put the ground pepper, ground cumin, black pepper, the salt, the bay leaves and the chicken bouillon cube in the pan. Mix it well. Then put 2-3 big cups of water.
- Put the cabbage then the dill in the soup. Until the cabbage will soft (approx. 10 minutes), make the thickening in the soup.
- Mix the sour cream and flour together, then slowly put some liquid from the soup and mix it well. Bring the tickening in the soup and mix it.
- Boil the soup for two more minutes.
- enjoy 🙂
- For your diet, you can leave the thickening out. So no sour cream and no flour for the DIET VERSION!
At the end of the day, if you want to lose weight cut back on sugar and carbohydrates, eat plenty of protein, healthy fats, and vegetables, and to make it much better, lift weights.
And if you want to try my grandmother’s Hungarian Cabbage Soup for your diet, you will be happy because you will feel better and healthier. ????
*This page contains affiliate links.If you purchase a product through one of them, I will receive commission (at no additional cost to you). I only ever endorse products that I have personally used and benefitted from personally. Thank you for your support.